Monday, September 13, 2010

H&C

Hannah and Carley
At first look, we are the same. We are labeled as twins, the identical kind, exactly alike. Yet as you get to know us, we become different, because we are different, we are not the same. We are the Twinsies, Hannahcarley (as one word), Smith Twins or girls, HC, and The Twinkies. We are Hannah and Carley.

Some may say we are identical, inside and out. But others, those few who really know us, can testify against that. We may look a lot alike, but in reality, we are as alike as the colors blue and yellow. Carley has short (or should I say, shorter) hair, no braces, and loves to play basketball. I, on the other hand, have long hair, braces, and instead of basketball, I love to play soccer. Although we are different, we are still very alike. We both have blue eyes, have a great time with our friends, and love to read. If it weren’t for school, our lives would single-handedly be made up of sports, friends, and books. Yet we cannot deny the inevitable, we go to school. We go 5 days out of a week, 6 hours and 25 minutes every day, 4 classes a day, and do homework (a continuation of school) every night. Sad day, I know. This is another thing we hold in common; we both think school is boring. Carley is a yellow, a bright and excited color. I am a blue, a happy, soothing color. Separate they are simply primary colors, but together, they create green, a secondary color, something new, running deeper and fuller, because together, we become much more.

We all have names. Something we are called. Whether good or bad, we constantly are being labeled. Yet these names are not who we really are, our actions determine who we become. Both Carley and I are students, learners and sisters. We are both sisters in law, soon maybe even aunts. We also all have things we are referred to, each of us has something that we are specified as, either as a name or not. Carley is usually the “loud one” as I am the more “subdued” between the two of us. She can never stop talking or just start making sound quietly. When she talks, it is always loud for everyone to hear, so what she says is never missed. I prefer to hum, making sound that way, expressing my feelings, or talking quietly, my words meant for only the few I was aiming them towards. But because we are all being labeled, constantly, we must act who how we want to be called. To us, having the right name is important, for what we are called is who people see us as, not who we really are. We are different, because she is Carley, and I am Hannah.

Characteristics are what make up who we are. All of us have many of these unique traits. Carley is always loud, bursting of energy, which she gets rid of by her blaring and boisterous actions. She readily accepts anyone who crosses her path, and everyone who does, can feel her passion and love for basketball just radiate off of her. She has the air of being a leader. You can tell just by the way she acts around people, and in turn, how they react when they are near her. I, like her, am full of energy, but I, on the other hand, use it and express it not only through my actions, but through my ideas. I communicate these ideas and thoughts through writing. I spend all of my free time in bed, reading and writing. Or you can see me in the kitchen, creating, baking and cooking something containing chocolate. I, also, have something on which I rely heavily on, something to take out my anger, my hurt, everything that went wrong that day. I rely on soccer. Soccer, to me, is more than a mere sport, it is something I love, something I use to get my out my feelings. We all have, and we all are made up of these traits, they are who we are.

I pause to think what I would be like without Carley. Would I be the loud one, always talking? Would I love basketball, or even play it at all? Would I have my own room? Or what if I wasn’t here? Would she love to bake, not just eat? Would she prefer soccer over basketball? Then I stop, I realize that it doesn’t matter what it might have been, because we are both here now. So now, instead, I wonder what we can do, who we can be. And although we are very alike, we are also different at the same time. And I know, without a doubt, that we are alike, yet not the same, we are close, yet not one. We are Hannah and Carley, a vibrant green.

9 comments:

  1. And that, ladies and gentlemen, was yet another incredibly insightful, poetic, captivating piece by the predictably unpredictable Hannah!!! That is a very good piece Hannah, and how true it is. I remember when I was shocked to see you two together because I'd only ever seen you, Hannah, and had no idea that you'd had a twin. Yet, when I met Carley, just said hi to her, I knew instantly that she was as different from you as day is from night. I like the vibrant green thing...wow. Great job, Hannah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are too nice!

    but yeah-we are way different! remember last yer when ryland was freaking out because he didn't know there were 2 of us??!! that was pretty hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, yes!! It was in Math class, and Carley came to give you a paper or a note or something--I can't remember what, and he was like YOU HAVE A TWIN?!? Haha, and we were all like, dude, WAKE UP! Haha, good times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ikr! that was pretty hilarious!
    math was good times..all of it...i miss it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know me too. I HATE being in a class with Abijiht. HATE IT. I miss our old class because it had you and Hana and Katie and Piwonka never making things the same way twice and us all became closer...wow. That was a great year :) 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it was a great year...i really miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ik our class was super close but this year im not feelin it you know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ik-it seems so flat, like, i am not excited to go just because of the people their you know?

    ReplyDelete